There are two main rules.
1. Have fun! That's the entire point. I hear every week "I'm not going up there, I can't sing"
Guess what? No one cares! Everyone is there to have fun, not worry if you hit every note. So get up there and pretend you're in the shower and let it out!
2. Don't jump in on someone else's song. Most people don't want you to randomly walk up and start singing with them. They've waited their turn, let them have their moment.
I'm asked this constantly. I have 3 tips for picking the "right" song.
1. I always think uptempo songs play to the crowd the best. That doesn't mean don't sing a show song, look around the room and read the crowd.
2. It's a good idea to pick a song most people know, that way when you look out at the crowd you'll see people singing along with you.
3. Pick a song you really know and love! (You don't want to have to try and read the lyrics as you're singing.)
*The biggest misconception about karaoke is you have to be a good singer, this couldn't be further from the truth. No one cares if you can't sing. If you have fun, they'll have fun. Get up there and sing your heart out!
*You can find a lot of songs on YouTube for free or you can buy a 1 week membership to karafun.com
It's a great idea to practice the karaoke version a couple of times.
*Adding a theme to your party really sets it apart from every other party your guests attend. You want people to remember your event, when people dress up they take on a different persona and really seem to let loose.
*Adult & Kids theme party ideas:
The possibilities are truly endless, here are a couple of ideas.
* *Choose a decade the 80's is my personal favorite.
**Halloween/Scaryoke, either karaoke or a regular Halloween party.
**Valentine's Day Ball, everyone dresses up like it's a formal, you can make it as fancy or as casual as you'd like.
**New Year's eve, you can go in a number of different directions with this.
**Super Hero, dressing up like a super hero is not just for kids.
**Princess, every little girl loves to dress up like a princess.
**Rockstar, dressing up like a rockstar gets you into the mood